Saturday, January 14, 2012

Free Day: Silent Hill

Sigh, it seems like recently I've been rolling a lot of movies I've seen before. Today is far from an exception. I've seen Silent Hill at least 10 times, I even saw it in theatres. However, it does star Sean Bean (a.k.a. Boromir) and that's always a good thing. He's by far the best actor in the movie. So I'll probably watch it a little later on tonight so I can enjoy it in the dark. Hooray!

IMDb: Silent Hill

Review:

Hmm, this is a strange one. I quite like this film, however I hear most people bash it. It's not the best horror movie ever and it's not the best video game movie ever (Super Mario Bros. FTW!) It does occupy an interesting niche though, as far as I know, it's the only psychological horror game to be made into a movie. Though the movie goes for jump scares more than psychological horror, it definitely makes you wonder what you would do in a situation like that.


Pros:

The Stars: By "The Stars", I mean the family the movie focuses on. All the actors playing them do a fantastic job, Radha Mitchell, who plays Rose, gives a great performance. My main problem with her role, however, is that she becomes a superwoman, seemingly invincible. Sean Bean, probably the biggest name in the film, does good in the small role he is given. We don't see much of him which kind of blows, but I'm sure they had their reasons. Jodelle Ferland, who plays Sharon and Alessa, does a terrific job on both sides, as innocent and evil.

Special Effects: Some of the effects in this film seem a bit dated, however, some of them still seem pretty good. Nothing completely noteworthy, but all in all not half bad. The costume and makeup departments deserves a small round of applause for making the nurses pretty badass and also for doing Pyramid Head some justice. It seems more and more that he should just be abandoned. He's pretty much been washed up since the first game. Nonetheless his appearance in this film is kept brief and violent. How it should be.

Cons:

Plot: The first time watching this movie, the plot was a little difficult to follow. It seems a little bipolar. Daughter goes crazy, end up in evil town, go into alternate universe, meet the wacky cult, and then last but not least have a confusing ending. You MUST see this film again. The second time it will make much much more sense.

Fuck That Bitch: Ok, I'm a reasonable guy. If I adopted a daughter and took her home, loved her, and cared for her. Then she started sleep-walking and talking about some creepy Silent Hill shit. I'd take right back to the fucking orphanage and I would literally say, "This one's defective, can I have another." No matter how much I loved her, that shit's crazy. Sean Bean is the one I side with in this film, it's against all logic to take the daughter to Silent Hill. It's extremely dangerous and you know it's a fucking ghost town. This shit's bananas.


FINAL SCORE:


8/10


I like this film, I like the subject matter, I like the direction, I like the acting, I like the story, and I love Sean Bean. That's how I feel, if you feel differently feel free to argue your point. I'd like to hear it. 


Purchase "Silent Hill":





Watch The Trailer

No comments:

Post a Comment