Friday, January 6, 2012

The Perils of Pauline

Alright, this one should be interesting. It's our first film from the Comedy Kings 50 Movie Pack. I'm not a huge fan of old school comedy, however, I've definitely liked stranger things. This film is from 1947 and is in color, which is pretty uncommon for that time period. It was also apparently nominated for an Oscar. Hopefully it's as good as Go For Broke, if so, this might actually be fun. Alright I'm going to watch and post the review earlier today than I have been. So expect to see it before 5 p.m. PST.

IMDb: The Perils of Pauline


Review

Just finished watching Perils of Pauline, and I'm pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it. This film is about a woman named Pearl White, getting her start in theatre, she eventually becomes a world-renowned serial actress. This movie covers her rise to fame, her serial period, and some of her later exploits. This movie was extremely good, and really well acted. However, it was not really a comedy. It had some light chuckles at times, but in my opinion it's more of a drama, or even a musical. 

Pros

Great Behind The Camera Work: I can't narrow this down any further, the film has good writing, good cinematography, good flow, great set design and much more. The direction was really well done too.

An example of great sets and great cinematography

Acting: All of the main characters felt real. They were well portrayed and I constantly found myself wondering what would happen next. The romantic relationship between Pearl and Farrington is well done and really believable. 

Glimpse of The Past: This movie does a terrific job of portraying what working in film circa 1915 was like. It shows how hectic and frantic it was. It's not often you see films that show you both the beauty of the Hollywood Golden Age, but also shows you what it can do to peoples head and hearts.

Cons

The War To End All Wars: Though this is far from a war film, it feels lacking in this department. World War 1 is announced and then less than a minute later ends. It seems like this would provide a more drastic change to Hollywood, than a 30 second period of minor change.

Final Score

8/10

I know I say this a lot, but I really struggled with this one. It was really good, well written, and well acted. However, It's hard for me to say it was a great movie. However, I will probably revisit this movie at a later date. It's a great period piece, to say the least.



Purchase "The Perils of Pauline"


Oldies

Comedy Kings 50 Movie Pack


Watch It Free



No comments:

Post a Comment